Electrical outlets


Old 10-23-05, 06:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Exclamation Electrical outlets

I have room that has had new drywall fitted and wallboard. This is the same as the original except that the drywall is deeper than the original ,consequently the sockets are recessed more than before. Is there a
spacer that could be fitted to bring the socket out a little so the it is flush with the cover ?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-05, 06:22 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
The receptacle should already be flush with the drywall. The receptacle will have "ears" that are designed to hold the receptacle against the drywall.

They do make spacers that you can buy. They also make box extenders. You may have to go to an electrical supply store, rather than a home improvement store.

Just how far back are the boxes anyway?
Old 10-24-05, 06:57 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
If the setback is less than 1/4", you can use various kinds of spacers. If the setback is more than 1/4", you are required to use box extenders.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes