waterproofing electrical wire

Old 10-24-05, 02:09 PM
waterproofing electrical wire

Hello first off thanks for the help

I have an electrical wire that is nicked outside and I was wondering if I could repair it with some silicone tape (stretchable self-fusing tape) located here online http://www.duluthtrading.com/96825.aspx?T22GOOG82 . Since it is outside the wire could be submerged at times in water when a puddle forms from rain. The electrical wire is on a gfci switch so if any problems should arise in the future it should be ok. This tape says it can withstand this and I have tried it once by dipping the wire in water and the gfci switch didn't go but what is the pro's opinion on this stuff? Is there a tape that is suitable for this (even underwater use)? It almost sounds to good to be true because the stuff is so easy to apply. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-05, 02:11 PM
Exactly what kind of wire or cable is this? There should be writing on the outside of it that identifies it.

Old 10-24-05, 06:06 PM
Actually it is heat tape. It runs along a pipe. It is the psr trace type made by easyheat. Hope that is what you wanted.

Old 10-24-05, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by robj

I have an electrical wire that is nicked outside and I was wondering if I could repair it with some silicone tape (stretchable self-fusing tape) located here online

" It's self-fusing, and requires no adhesive since it only bonds to itself. "

From your link. " it only bonds to itself. "

Is that saying It will Not stick to wire or anything ?
It may not keep the water out.

Old 10-24-05, 10:21 PM
It works by pressure. Just like heat shrink tubes work. I have used heat shrink tubes for underwater use with no problems. This tape really does stretch alot and provide alot of pressure against the wire insulation. Like I said though it worked for one test I performed by wrapping a spot and submerging it under the water and the gfci didn't pop. but for long term use I just don't know? Thanks for the replies

Last edited by robj; 10-25-05 at 02:33 PM.