Why would this happen? HELP

Old 10-24-05, 07:56 PM
Why would this happen? HELP

My upstairs bathroom light and the light over the stove aren't working. I changed the bulbs and tripped the circuit but no luck. All other lights work?

We are having bad rain and wind here in NY and we've had partial blackouts in the past (where half the house would go out but not the entire house - this happens to my neighbors too).

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-05, 07:59 PM
So are those two lights the only two things in the entire house that aren't working? And are they located anywhere near each other? Is there any reason to think that these two non-working fixtures might be related? Did they die at exactly the same moment?

Old 10-24-05, 08:01 PM
Yes as far as I can tell they are the only 2 lights not working. I've walked around the house and don't notice any other outages. The stove doesn't work either (electric), but the fridge and other kitchen lights are working.

They are on different circuits, but the bathroom light is on the same wall however the bathroom is directly above the stove.

I don't see any reason why they would be related, and yes it does appear they went out at the same time. I used the stove and the bathroom light within the last couple of hours.

Old 10-24-05, 08:20 PM
Your symptoms don't suggest anything in particular, so I'm not sure what to say.

Are the two circuit breakers that control these two lights next to each other in the panel?

Old 10-24-05, 08:58 PM
No. But the wiring in this house is strange. The stove is on a different circuit than the rest of the kitchen.

I just don't want a fire to start before I can get an electrican here.

Old 10-24-05, 11:03 PM
Exclamation

It sounds like you have lost one of the legs to your panel. If you say the neighbors are experiencing this as well, you should contact your power company immediately.

Old 10-25-05, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Andrew
It sounds like you have lost one of the legs to your panel. If you say the neighbors are experiencing this as well, you should contact your power company immediately.

Andrew,

My neighbors and I have lost partial power in our house during previous storms. I'm not sure if it happened last night as well.

At about midnight the light over the stove came back on. I have no idea why it happened.

Do you think there is any reason to be concerned that something is shorting and could be a fire hazard? or most likely bad weather related?

Thanks to you both for your help!!!

Old 10-25-05, 12:38 PM
A common symptom is to lose power to half of the 120-volt stuff in your house, and all of the 240-volt stuff. That problem always warrants a call to the power company. But two lights and one stove doesn't seem to match the symptom I just described. Any power failure that isn't the fault of the power company should be investigated by an electrician right away.