electronic damage

Old 10-25-05, 12:03 AM
helper1
Visiting Guest
electronic damage

People in apartment above said their tv, vcr, clockradio blewup. No breakers tripped. Lights get bright before they blow. This this also happened about a week ago. Maintenance said they had too much plugged in to outlets. What would cause this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-05, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by helper1
Maintenance said they had too much plugged in to outlets.
This is complete BS!

Originally Posted by helper1
Lights get bright before they blow.
This is a tell tale clue. This can mean that a neutral is loose in the feeder to the apartment. This is a BAD thing. Do things get noticeably brighter and dimmer?

A word of caution. DO NOT attempt to do ANY work yourselves. It is illegal, unsafe and unwise to do work in a commercial setting, especially an apartment building or rental house, without proper licensing, qualifications and insurance.

Old 10-25-05, 08:07 AM
Maintenance said they had too much plugged in to outlets.
Completely accurate statement. They should unplug EVERYTHING until the loose neutral connection is fixed. This is a dangerous situation that MUST be corrected immediately. Have your neighbors start by calling the power company to check connections to the meter. If the problem is there (and sometimes even if it's beyond that) the power company will likely correct it at no cost to the owner. Have them call NOW... Have they called yet??

Doug M.

Old 10-25-05, 08:26 AM
I wonder if the things that blew were only on a couple of circuits. If so, the loose neutral could be on a multiwire branch circuit. IN this case the power company would not be involved and the landlord/owner would have to get an electrician in there ASAP. So if everything is blowing throughout the entire apartment, then the problem is likely with the feeder neutral. If not, then the culprit is somewhere in the apartment premises wiring. Good luck and unplug everything!

Dave

Old 10-25-05, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by dougm
Completely accurate statement.
Talk about contradiction.
Sorry, but having too much plugged in at one time will NOT cause things to burn up.
The loose neutral will, but overloading a circuit is not the cause. It's making the cause more noticable.

Old 10-25-05, 11:47 AM
Speedy,

I think Doug either made a mistake (and meant to say inaccurate) or he was saying that maintenance got it right, not by saying that too much plugged in caused the problem, but by saying that having anything plugged in was wrong.

Old 10-25-05, 11:51 AM
Speedy, you and doug are on the same page. Of course having too much stuff plugged in won't cause things to blow up. You know that. I know that. Doug knows that. The maintenance guy probably knows that. The maintenance guy is using your typical "try-to-make-them-go-away" tactic. Lazy and/or cheap.

When Doug says that he agrees with the too much plugged in assessment, he's referring to the fact that even one thing plugged into this unsafe installation is too much. It was a bit of sarcasm.

Old 10-25-05, 12:01 PM
Sorry Speedy... I didn't mean for you to think I was calling you wrong. "Maintenance" at this apartment is definately... um... uninformed.

Doug M.

Old 10-25-05, 12:30 PM
Hey, No problem. Sorry if I seemed overly defensive.
I guess I misread the tone of your post.
All is well.

Old 10-25-05, 12:52 PM
If-If its a loose main Neutral line it is possible that some appliances can get 220 volts flowing into them.
Post #4 is right on the mark.

Old 10-25-05, 01:02 PM
GWIZ, Absolutely, but the POCO will usually respond quickly to this type of call, can be called by the tenant and not have to depend on a possibly slow and definitely dense maintenance department, will not charge, and might, out of concern and generosity (that seems like a lot to ask of a utility company, but some actually do...) fix the problem even if it's beyond their equipment.

Doug M.