I want to feed garage from meter pan?????

Old 10-25-05, 09:52 AM
Econoline
Visiting Guest
I want to feed garage from meter pan?????

Gentleman,
I need to pick your brain on this. I have had a new 200 amp service installed last year. The new meter pan is coupled to a 200 amp breaker/main disconect box. (long run to new panel)
The new detached garage I'm building I want to feed with 100 amps.
Is there a "splitter", a lug assymbly, a device, that I can bolt onto / into the load lugs of the meter pan that will allow me to feed a second main breaker box / 100 amp disconect box?
Thanks..Al

Old 10-25-05, 04:01 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Yes, a second main can be run from the meter pan but NOT BY YOU. If the meter is a lot closer than the main panel this might be the way to go.

After the garage is built call an electrician for advice on a trench. I had to dig mine 24" deep. With you digging the trench they can throw this together in no time.

Stay out of that meter pan! Did you see "The Green Mile"?

Baldwin

Old 10-26-05, 11:49 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
There is a good chance you will not be allowed to do this, because the potential load for your 2 panels is 300A. This would of course overload your 200A service and meter; the power company would require you to upgrade to a 400A service. There are options while keeping your 200A service, but this is probably not entirely a DIY job. I recommend you get some estimates from electricians for the part of the job that involves the meter base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: