breaker help !!

Old 10-25-05, 04:26 PM
qblack2002
Visiting Guest
breaker help !!

My house is old. The electrical service has been upgraded partially. The problem I have is the breaker, or should I say one of the breakers, has tripped and won't turn on even if the switch is switched on. I think it has something to do with the furnace because I can't get it to come on either. Any information would be helpful. I certainly will not try to do this myself...if a breaker needs to be replaced. I am afraid of electricity. I give you guys, and if there are any women doing this work, a lot of admiration for being so brave because I am a big chicken when it comes to electricity. Thanks in advance for your help.
P.S. Could I reolace the breaker if I turned off all electric at the breaker box??

Last edited by qblack2002; 10-25-05 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-05, 05:20 PM
Something on the circuit that this breaker controls has shorted. If the furnace is the only thing then the furnace is probably bad.

Old 10-25-05, 06:09 PM
joed has told you the problem. Now I will give you the lecture.

You should know what is controlled by this breaker. You should know what is controlled by EVERY breaker in your panel. Knowing what is on each and every breaker and knowing which breaker controls each and every receptacle, light and appliance in your house could prove lifesaving one day.

As soon as possible you should map out your entire electrical system and post this information near your panel.

Old 10-26-05, 09:52 AM
One question... Did you push the breaker all the way to the off position before trying to turn it back on?

Doug M.

Old 10-26-05, 07:20 PM
qblack2002
Visiting Guest
I din't try that

I didn't try to turn the switch all the way off before turning it on. I'll try that and see what happens. The furnace was acting strange before this happened. Last season it wouldn't come on unless you reset it. Then it would run until it shut off and wouldn't come back on without being reset again. It was the end of the season and I didn't run it since it was getting warm.

Old 10-26-05, 07:37 PM
Whitey55
Visiting Guest
there should be an on off switch located next to the furnace if it is not in site of the breaker box. if there is, turn that switch off and try to reset the breaker. this should help determine if the problem is the furnace or something else. either way the breaker should be replaced. circuit breakers are not designed to have repeated "dead shorts" imposed on them.
And you are right about replacing the breaker. not all old services have a "main" breaker. some are split panels so you must test with a known working tester before you attempt to replace a circuit breaker. dont do it "hot". there is no reason to take the risk. turn off the panel first. Fi you do not have a true main, you will have to have the local utility company pull the meter. In our area they will do this for free if you can wait until they have a tech in the area.

Old 10-27-05, 07:22 AM
Let's hold off on worrying about replacing the breaker for now. I don't think it's tripped multiple times, because I don't think it's actually been reset yet. Turning off the switch at the furnace prior to trying to reset the breaker is a great idea. It sounds like there's no question that the furnace needs service anyhow so turning it off and seeing if the breaker will reset would eliminate the possibility of a wiring problem. Then, get the furnace fixed and see if the breaker will stay on. I suspect it will.

Doug M.