making pigtails

Old 10-26-05, 03:44 PM
making pigtails

don't know if I worded this properly, but here s the queston
I pigtailed a wire into the attic from a receptacle box to run a celing fan. The job went great.. Now what I would like to do is along the length of this pig tailed wire, I would like to cut it and run a wire from a junction box to make a new wall receptacle. In other words, cut the pigtaled wire along its length, run it into a junction box, connect the wires, one running into the attic for the fan, and the other to a wall plug I'd like to install. None of these endpoints would suck up alot of electricity, and they wouldn't be running at the same time really ever. Do I use a plastic junction box, and a plastic receptacle box, or do I stay with metal so the grounds have a screw that they can be connected to?
Thanks.
If there are any questions, please let me know.
George

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-05, 03:49 PM
It's not called pigtailing. It's just extending a circuit. Pigtailing is when you add a 6" piece of wire to a group of wires so that there is only one wire to go under a screw on a switch or receptacle.
There is no problem with what you want to do. Use either plastic or metal. It makes not difference. Just connect all the grounds together and make sure you have at least 6" of wire from each cable in the box.

Old 10-26-05, 03:59 PM
The term pigtails means something else entirely, so you probably shouldn't use it in this case.

What you want to do is to tap into a wire in the attic to run a new wire down to a new receptacle. This is legal if the receptacle is on a proper circuit, if there is enough slack in the cable to make the cut add the junction box, and if the junction box remains permanently accessible.

Assuming this is not a bathroom receptacle you want to add and not a kitchen, dining room, or laundry circuit you can probably add the receptacle. What circuit is it?

Do you have 12 inches of slack in the wire? That is how much you need to cut the cable and add the box. Plastic boxes are okay. The box in the attic must be and remain permanently accessible. If you don't have the necessary slack in the circuit, you will have to replace the wire from either end back to where you want to put the junction box. In this case, consider simply adding the new wire right from the fan or existing receptacle.

Whether this is a good idea or not depends on several factors. You seem convinced that the circuit an handle the load. That's the main concern. You wouldn't want to run the vacuum cleaner and have the breaker trip because the attic fan was on, or something similar.

remember that each splice is a potential failure point. For this reason, I like to avoid junction boxes in attics whenever possible and make all connections in switches, receptacles, lights, or other noticeable places. This way you don't have to remember that there is a box in the attic or wherever.

Old 10-26-05, 04:02 PM

thanks for swift replies.......actually the junction box would be in a bathroom cabinet. The receptacle would be in a bedroom, used strictly for a t.v. Have to check the slack part. But I should be able to cut the wires and connect new wire to run the connection.
George

Old 10-26-05, 04:09 PM
What are all the items presently on this circuit?

Old 10-26-05, 06:28 PM

a few lights, and a t.v. and a couple receptacles

Old 10-26-05, 06:51 PM
If that is all that is on the circuit, plus the attic fan then you are probably okay.

Old 10-26-05, 07:29 PM
RACRAFT stated "If you don't have the necessary slack in the circuit, you will have to replace the wire from either end back to where you want to put the junction box. In this case, consider simply adding the new wire right from the fan or existing receptacle."

Actually, you really don't need any slack in the cable if you add TWO junction boxes a couple of feet apart. Then, you just have to add a piece of cable between the two junction boxes. It is not necessary to replace the cable back to where it originates or terminates.

Old 10-26-05, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by alittle
Actually, you really don't need any slack in the cable if you add TWO junction boxes a couple of feet apart. Then, you just have to add a piece of cable between the two junction boxes. It is not necessary to replace the cable back to where it originates or terminates.

This is true, but I would ONLY do this if there were no reasonable alternatives. Every junction box is an additional potential failure point. If I can reasonably get to one of the other points, I'll run new cable back to it. Of course, if that is the case, I'd see if it were practical to bring the cable I'm wanting to add into that box and make the junction there, eliminating any new junction boxes completely. Just make sure that the existing box is big enough for the additional wires.

Old 10-27-05, 03:44 AM

as I think about it more, by using a junction box I am only saving about 4 feet or so and not having to take out and connect wires inside the original receptacle box. If I did do that how many #14 wires can you connect with connectors, if I do decide to go back to the source of the power(this is where the original pigtail was made for the wire for the ceiling fan)...If I remember correctly I believe there are 2 wires and a pigtail connected in that box now. I would be adding a third wire to the mix..Thanks
George