wiring receptacle

Old 10-27-05, 10:19 AM
FLASHPD
Visiting Guest
wiring receptacle

I am wiring a run of receptacles for a new bathroom. When connecting a receptacle in the middle of a run do i remove the metal tab between the two copper screws (hot wires) the tab between the two silver screws(white wires), both or neither?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-05, 10:29 AM
Just how many receptacles are you putting in this bathroom?

If all the receptacles are to always be hot (or always be switched) then you don't touch the metal tabs.

Old 10-28-05, 05:23 PM
You only break the tab on the hot side for a switched recepticle or a miltiwire receptivcle, either not really used in a bathroom. You leave the tab on the neutral side. You never have to remove them, they are simple there because they use the same piece for both sides.

Old 10-28-05, 05:36 PM
classicsat,

You need to break the tab on the neutral side of a duplex receptacle if you wire the receptacle to two completely different circuits. Not commonly done, but not never done either.

Old 10-30-05, 03:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
in a bathroom it should be a gfi based on 210-8(A) in the 05.gfi's only have 1 screw for hot, one for neutral and 1 for ground. there are no tabs to break. if this is a standard duplex it does not belong in the bathroom. they have a second screw for hot and neutral but that is for load wiring only.

Old 10-30-05, 09:37 AM
Standard receptacles are just fine for a bathroom as long as they are GFCI protected upstream. In fact, most bathroom receptacles are GFCI-protected, but are not GFCI receptacles.

Old 10-30-05, 11:55 AM
we disagree again, most bathroom outlets are gfis. to feed a reg outlet from a gfi for a bathroom is not a good practice. 05 has strict requirements for bathroom wiring. its easier to put the gfi in so a person will see it instead of having to explain how its wired from another gfi and demonstrate.i cant find my 05 but in 99 code 210-11(c)(3)one 20 amp branch circuit shall be provided for a bathroom receptacle. such circuit shall have no other outlets. how can you feed a bathroom outlet down stream from the load of another gfi and satisfy this requirement. there is an exception that says basically if the 20 amp circuit supplies a single bathroom it can supply other outlets in that bathroom only. for years now we have been running 12-2 to each bathroom outlet with a gfi receptacle and picking up the lighting and fan on a 14-2 lighting circuit.

Old 10-30-05, 12:00 PM
Danny,

John is discussing most existing structures, and is in no way discussing new construction.

Yes, it is against code TODAY to feed other portions of your house from bathroom receptacle circuit (except receptacles in another bathroom under certain conditions), but it was not illegal in past years.

It was quite common not too many years ago to have the standard duplex bathroom receptacles protected by GFCI receptacles located in the garage, basement or even outside.

Old 10-30-05, 12:09 PM
From the original post:
I am wiring a run of receptacles for a new bathroom
I doubt if very many electricians, when putting more than one receptacle in the same bathroom, would make more than one of them a GFCI receptacle.

Old 10-30-05, 01:41 PM
where does he post more than one receptacle in the bathroom. all he states is a question about the metal tabs. not one post pointed out the fact about 210-8 gfi requirement or even asked him about this. ****************************** he does say its a new bathroom so it shall be wired by the nfpa 70 and the year code his area is woking under.

Last edited by mattison; 11-01-05 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Off topic and unnecessary.
Old 10-30-05, 03:39 PM
here...

here it is...

Originally Posted by FLASHPD
I am wiring a run of receptacles for a new bathroom.

Old 10-30-05, 04:12 PM
Unnecessary comments that are far off topic are not welcome.

Last edited by mattison; 11-01-05 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Off topic comments.