Three way switch questions

Old 10-28-05, 07:43 PM
Three way switch questions

I have a hallway and there is a three way switch on each end with the hallway light fixture in the middle. The switches are very old and was painted on by the last owner and I am repainting the hallway so I replaced all the switches to the same kind and wired them as close to how they were wired originally. But the new switches look different and ths screws are different so I am not sure if I did them right or not. But after I was done and turned the main power back on, something is different. It used to be I can turn on or off the light from either switch, now it seems one switch is the master and the other will only work if the master switch is on. What did I do wrong and how can I correct it?

Thanks,

MC

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-05, 08:04 PM
The problem is that different switch manufacturers put the "common" screw in different places. And it's important to move the wire from the common screw on the old switch to the common screw on the new switch.

If you haven't yet thrown away the old switches, it won't be too hard to fix this. Do you still have the old switches?

Old 10-28-05, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
The problem is that different switch manufacturers put the "common" screw in different places. And it's important to move the wire from the common screw on the old switch to the common screw on the new switch.

If you haven't yet thrown away the old switches, it won't be too hard to fix this. Do you still have the old switches?
I threw them away, but before I did, I looked all over them and there was no marking on them about where COMMON was. Also the new one has a fin that can be broken off for separate feed, I didn't know what I had do I need to break it?

If I take pictures of my switches as they are NOW, and post the link, will it help diagnose my problem?

Thanks,

MC

Old 10-28-05, 09:02 PM
Is this the same problem you reported in the lighting forum? Because simple 3-way switches don't have fins. Don't post the pictures again if this is the same problem.

Old 10-28-05, 09:06 PM
The common screw is usually black. The 2 brass screws are for the traveler wires.