panel change(in ontario)

Old 10-30-05, 04:08 AM
panel change(in ontario)

Hi,I am sure our codes will differ from the states,and i see a few Canadian electricians on here.
I am changing from fuses to breakers on an existing 100 amp service.Can I get a permit to only change the panel itself?My mast is about 1 foot short of code and my meter is sitting a foot higher than code.I obviously do not want to change that if I can get away with it since that will be more money.
Seems to be an issue trying to get an inspector to return any calls.
Also my buddy (electrician commercial)says he will just open the meter and run new wire from there to the panel.Do I have to notify hydro that the safety clip has been cut?Is this correct?Is that actually safe?(thats why I am not an electrician hahah)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-05, 08:08 AM
Are you on Ontario hydro or local utility. Either one will come and remove a meter.

Lots of good info available Electrical inspection Authority web site.

http://www.esasafe.com/consumer/esafaqs.htm

Old 10-30-05, 12:09 PM
thanks ....Hamilton hydro.....but i am still trying to find out if i can leave the mast and meter height the way it is.If i need to adjust those heights I am on the hook for conduit new mast etc which i am trying to avoid.Hoping that since I am only doing a panel,it can be left alone.I do not want to be told by an inspector at the last second that i must alter those as well.

thanks

Old 10-30-05, 04:34 PM
I would call Hamilton Hydro and ask what they will require.
On second thought it is not Hamilton who will inspect it. Keep trying to contact the ESA inspector.