GFI Question

Old 10-30-05, 07:18 PM
DSL_John
Visiting Guest
Question GFI Question

I have a 1999 Hot Springs Jetsetter and just fixed some leaks in the plumbing. When I plugged in the GFI into its' outlet, the system started to operate but shut down. The tub is filled with water as it should be. Does the Watkins GFI ever go bad causing it to do this? I did try starting it a few times and actually the jet pump started on one occasion but shut back down. Other times the power light would flash and then the GFI would take over kiling power to the tub. Any Ideas on what may be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-05, 05:51 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: John

A GFI is a componet that is known or can fail with time and age. It is also the least expanse and easiest part to replace. Turn off the main electrical circuit power and replace that part. Very likely to resolve the problem.

If doing that does not solve the problem, suspect the pump motor. Possible the internal motor circuit has a built in overheating circuit. Motor could be shutting down as a result of overheating. Or some other componet is failing.

I moved your question into this forum topic, since it more likely is an electrical problem than the actual spa problem. Those in spas can still access the question as you did and the electrical pros in this topic can also help with their professional electical advice.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent & Forums Monitor.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-31-05, 09:12 PM
DSL_John
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much for the great advice. I will replace it. My GFI is the type that is connected to the end of the power plug and goes in a weather tight cover. I'll be sure to come back here to comment on the results once I see what happens. Thanks again.

John