Light fixtures burning bulbs simultaneously

Old 10-31-05, 08:19 AM
intheJC
Visiting Guest
Question Light fixtures burning bulbs simultaneously

Help. I have two ceiling fixtures on the same circuit in a hall. They both use one 60 watt bulb. Over the past month, the bulbs in both fixtures have burned out at the same time twice. I have noticed that the fixtures are on a circuit with a 20 amp breaker. Is there anything obvious with the breaker or something else in the circuit that could be causing this to happen? What's the fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-05, 09:27 AM
This is not a common complaint. But I suppose that it is possible that when one bulb burns out, it causes a voltage spike that kills the other bulb too. This would be most likely if you are using inexpensive bulbs in some obscure brand. I suggest buying national name-brand bulbs. Better yet would be to find bulbs marked for "130V" which can be found at many hardware stores. Or buy double-life or long-life bulbs as these have strudier filiments.

Old 10-31-05, 12:44 PM
intheJC
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I believe I used Sylvania bulbs, but can definitely try out others. One item I did not mention; the wires in one of the outlet boxes include a green ground wire - which I attached to the grounding nut in the fixture. The other, however, did not have a green ground wire - at least not one that was visible inside the box. Could this possibly be contributing to the problem? Is there a way to ground the fixture without the ground wire?

Old 10-31-05, 01:45 PM
Grounding is unlikely to be related to the problem. Sylvania bulbs should be good enough.