mixed/crossed circuits

Old 11-01-05, 12:37 AM
MN256QAM
Visiting Guest
mixed/crossed circuits

Have a double switch, the bottom switch has a supply line in and a line out to load (sink disposal + dishwasher). The top switch has a single line to it switching lights above. The lights and disposal are on different breakers. The lights stay on when the switch is off, and even when the circuit is off, as long as the disposal circuit is on. Works the other way too, dishwasher showed a display with its circuit is off, and light circuit on. If the disposal/dishwasher circuit off, the switch controls the lights as normal. The big question is: could this be caused by induction due to the live supply line being in the box with a different circuit? I'm pretty sure it's all physically wired right, this isn't the first time I've installed electrical circuits. Oh, and I connected all the gound wires togather in the box, which should be ok since they are all connected back at the breaker panel right?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-05, 01:40 AM
MN256QAM
Visiting Guest
haha, I made a silly mistake

I was going to delete this, but, I thought I'd leave it for others to learn from my mistake. I found the tab on the side of the switch, just like on duplex outlets (to switch one half the outlet only). With the tab in place, the two switches share a supply, the tab must be removed to use the switches on seperate circuits. I finally thought of it after moving on to doing something else (figures).

Old 11-01-05, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You're lucky that the two circuits you fed this switch with are from the same leg of your incoming service. You would have made nasty fireworks if you had joined the two legs of your service.