re-routing electrical after removing kitchen soffits

Old 11-01-05, 07:28 AM
pdPARENT
Visiting Guest
re-routing electrical after removing kitchen soffits

We are at the beginning of our kitchen remodeling project (a 2-story home) and have run into a "setback" after removing the kitchen soffits. The wiring was not routed through the 2x4's and probably will have to be re-routed. Has anyone run into this, and if so, how big of a project and/or expense will this entail? I appreciate any helpful advice -- and I'm sure we'll probably be back for more advice in our next stage. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-05, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do you want to do

A lot depends on what you intend to do with the remodel. Are you eliminating the soffits? Moving wiring and outlets? Give some more information for us to go on.

Rerouting the wiring, if necessary, might be a simple matter - or might be very complex, depending on the desired results.

Old 11-01-05, 09:19 AM
pdPARENT
Visiting Guest
I apologize for being vague. We are eliminating the soffits altogether, patching in drywall for exposed areas and then placing new cabinets. There won't necessarily be any moving of any outlets, but we will be adding additional outlets to bring this mid-1970s house up to code.

Additional electric that will need to be done at some point is adding in some recessed lighting and then wiring for a dishwasher.

I hope this offers enough info for guidance. Thanks!

Old 11-01-05, 12:06 PM
assemblo
Visiting Guest
BE Easy

As long as you are not removing the outlets altogether than you should not have much of a problem. You just need to remove the old wires and drill holes for the new wires. Adding new outlets is always easy as long as the sheetrock has not been done yet.

Old 11-01-05, 05:52 PM
pdPARENT
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply, asemblo ... I appreciate your reply. I think my original question got lost in the details, though. What we have is a kitchen remodel where we are removing the soffits and will not be replacing them. After beginning demo we discovered existing BX cable/wiring that the soffits apparently were housing. So now we will need to reroute this and just wonder how extensive this job will be. I am comfortable adding new outlets, etc. but this is a bit daunting, I think. I assume we will need a qualified electrician? Thanks again for any help you or anyone else can offer. I truly appreciate it!!