More circuit breakers

Old 11-01-05, 01:56 PM
LilReasDAd
Visiting Guest
More circuit breakers

Is it possible to add more circuit breakers without re-running the wires? The majority of the outlets in my kitchen are on one circuit and I was wanting to get someone to come out to try and spread the load, but I wanted to know ahead of time if there might be an easier way than re-wiring the outlets.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-05, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
At the very least, a new line (12-2wg Romex would be used in most areas of the USA) will have to be run from a new 20A breaker in the panelbox to one of the existing recepticals. From there, the circuit could be split. Recepticals on one side would remain on the old circuit, while the recepticals on the other side would move to the new circuit along with the receptical who's jbox the new line was brought in to.

Note that GFCI protection would have to be provided for the new circuit, and that the new circuit must be 20A. If the existing circuit happened to be wired with 14 guage wire, the above method could not be used. In that case, the new circuit would need to be run with new wire to all of the affected recepticals.

Old 11-02-05, 07:44 PM
LilReasDAd
Visiting Guest
That's what I was afraid of. Since I'm not that experienced with electrial guess I'll be shelling out a bit more to get someone to run the needed wires.

Old 11-04-05, 01:55 AM
MKISSEL
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Diy

HI, IF YOU CAN ACCESS PULLING 12/2 AWG ROMEX WIRE TO THE RECEPTACLES BY WAY OF YOUR CRAWL SPACE OR ATTIC FROM THE PANEL AND MAKE OR FIND A JUNCTION BOX. YOU CAN SPLIT THE ONE CIRCUIT MAKING TWO CIRCUITS. BUT LIKE CHIRKWARE SAID CODES REQUIRE USING GFCI RECEPTACLES, HOT WIRE GOES TO LINE IN AND OTHER BRANCH RECEPTACLES WOULD GO ON THE LOAD SIDE. GOODLUCK AND DON'T GET ZAPPED. ALWAYS SHUT OFF CIRCUIT BREAKERS AND ALWAYS USE A VOLTAGE TESTER.