Adding Bathroom Fan

Old 11-02-05, 06:23 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding Bathroom Fan

I need to install a bathroom vent fan to control moisture/mold spores. The home is 43 years old.

Current set-up: 2 gang metal box with single pole switch and GFCI outlet. Both the lighting (3 - 40w incadescent bulb fixtures) and GFCI recept are powered by a 14-2 w/ground on 15a circuit. Not code, but this house is 43 years old.

I plan on installing Broan's Verticle Discharge Model #673, which is rated at 1 amp.

I would like to use a duplex switch (?) with the GFCI in the existing metal box.

Would you suggest sharing the neutral: run a 14-3 cable downstream from the box (red- light switched, black - fan switched)?

Or, just run a 14-2 from the new fan switch to the motor?

Other suggestions????

I don't believe the fan requires GFCI since it is not near the tub/shower. The light fixtures are not protected by the GFCI.

I'm a little concerned about room inside the box with all the wire nuts necessary. Thanks.

Old 11-02-05, 07:18 AM
R
If you replace the 14-2 going to the light with a 14-3, then all you are adding is a single wire. Further, if you use a new GFCI receptacle with wires held in by pressure plates, then you won’t need any wires nuts except for the grounds.

Old 11-02-05, 08:57 AM
G
Thanks.

What are pressure plates???

Old 11-02-05, 09:54 AM
R
Some new devices do not have traditional screw terminals. Instead, the screw is used to press a small metal tab against the side of the device. You can insert one or two wires behind the plate and the pressure of the plate against the device holds the wire tight. You simply strip a small piece of insulation from the end of the wire, insert and tighten the screw.

Old 11-02-05, 10:19 AM
G
OK..thanks for the description.

Would it be easier to put the fan and lights on GFCI protection, and simply bridge the neutral from/at the GFCI, and bridge the hot in the same fashion, then pigtail the downstream hot into the new 14/3 red/black for the new switches? Now I would have only one wire nut in the box (pigtail).

Is that acceptable? Thanks.

Old 11-02-05, 11:04 AM
R
If you buy a GFCI that has the connector I described then you only have one wire nut in the box, for the grounds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: