Access for junction boxes?

Old 11-02-05, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Access for junction boxes?

I'm running a new circuit into a first floor room where I'm building a kitchen. Since I have the ceiling out I was planning to run the feed wire in from one end of the room(down the middle of the ceiling) and have it run to one junction box, from which two circuits would go to a light fixture and an outlet box, and then continue on to another junction box which would also have two circuits running out of it, and then continue on into another room. The junction boxes would be attached to the joists in the ceiling.

Then I read that junction boxes have to be accessible and shouldn't be inside ceilings and finished walls. That has left me wondering how to accomplish my task. This room is a partial basement with concrete walls that preclude running romex in the walls, the ceiling is the only place to run it. But what to do about the junction boxes? Could someone give me some ideas about this? Will I have to local the junction boxes outside of the room and run a lot of extra romex back and forth to the fixtures/outlet boxes, or do I cut access doors in the ceiling, or what other solution is there?

John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-05, 04:19 PM
The only solution is to do all your switching from lights or receptacle junction boxes. This is a much cleaner solution anyway.

One other caution. The receptacles you speak of for the kitchen, they cannot be counter top receptacles. Counter top receptacles must be on their own separate circuit. You also don't want these receptacles to be for any large load that is not on the counter either, such as a refrigerator, stove, etc.

Old 11-05-05, 11:39 AM
It depends what you are using for ceilings. If you are using the drop-in panels, then it is uslally acceptable to have JBs above that.
If you are doing a drywall or other permanent ceiling, the access opening of the box has to go through the finish material and be plated.