3 prong to a 4 prong

Old 11-02-05, 03:29 PM
Pixie Boo
Visiting Guest
3 prong to a 4 prong

Ok, I just moved into a house and my dryer is a 3 prong plug, the outlet is a 4 prong. I went to Home Depot and the guy said that all of the 'new houses' and dryers are now using the 4 prong outlets and cords. I bought the new cord and now I'm stuck. There is, of course, an extra wire. I have the black, red and white wire from the original 3 prong but this new 4 prong has a green wire. I have no clue what to do.
This weekend has been a whole bunch of first for me, I put up curtains and rods for the first time and put together a book shelf..but this, this is more than I want to do w/o knowing what I'm doing. I'm brave but not THAT brave. =)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-05, 03:58 PM
Hi, Pixie

Here is a link to help you out. Main thing is to remove the metal strap from the frame or wire that is connected to your dryer center terminal (neutral...usually a white wire but maybe not) then connect the green wire in your new cord as shown in the link. Notice in the link the metal strap is just bent back onto itself and disconnected from the metal frame of the dryer. Good luck. Please dont do this with the dryer plugged in

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switc...yershowall.htm

Old 11-02-05, 04:01 PM
Pixie Boo
Visiting Guest
You are a god! thank you and I love you!

Old 11-02-05, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pixie Boo
You are a god! thank you and I love you!
I am not God, though that would be kinda neat for a few days. John Nelson on this site is probably God, then Racraft is probably Sat.....just joking Bob....
though when someone hasnt mapped their circuits you remind me of that little pointy eared guy.

Old 11-02-05, 04:28 PM
Pixie Boo
Visiting Guest
hehehe

shhh I wont tell if you wont, I'll let you be 'god' for awhile. Now if I could only find a 'computer god' I'd be one happy girl.

Old 11-02-05, 04:49 PM
Roger,

Flattery will get you nowhere.

Old 11-02-05, 05:25 PM
Pixie Boo
Visiting Guest
tomorrow I will 'attempt' to change out the cords.
Thanks so much for all of your help!
xoxo
:mask: