How to add a light bulb to door bell?

Old 11-02-05, 06:42 PM
alex
Visiting Guest
Unhappy How to add a light bulb to door bell?

A question from newbie:

I'd like to add regular light bulb to my door bell so it will flash every time bell rings. But the problem is that the bell is connected to low-voltage wires coming from a transformer right beside the panel. There is no way to re-wire, because the panel is in the basement, i.e. the wire goes through many walls/floors. Is there any way to use kind of step-up transformer or something else to connect regular 60W 110V bulb to low-voltage wire?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-05, 07:50 PM
Why don't you use a low-voltage bulb? Or maybe buy a special doorbell for the hearing impared.

Old 11-02-05, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since voltage would only go to the bulb while the push button was being depressed, you would only get a brief blink. You could build a circuit using a latching relay, but take John's advice and check out the special "chimes" for the hearing impaired.

Old 11-03-05, 11:12 AM
This could also be done easily with an X-10 powerflash interface connected to the door bell chime and an X-10 light module with any standard lamp plugged into it. Both are readily available on the web for a total cost of no more than $50.

Doug M.

Old 11-03-05, 09:07 PM
I believe Radio Shack has exactly what you need. (This is not an endorsement or plug for any business...I just recall seeing the item you need there).

Old 11-04-05, 12:12 AM
MKISSEL
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Low Voltage Lighting

Hi, There Probably Is Some Type Of Step Up Transformer You Could Rig But Thats Really Not Necessary If You Just Use A Low Voltage Light Fixture Or Bulbs. If You Ask An Hardware Clerk I'm Sure They'll Accommadate You, Goodluck And Be Safe.