subpannel or not

Old 11-03-05, 05:13 PM
Bill F.
Visiting Guest
subpannel or not

I'm adding a jetted tub to an upstairs bath. It calls for 2 dedicated lines, one for the pump and one for the heater. I only have room in my current service pannel for one more. I'm concidering adding a 50A or 70A sub pannel to gain more space.
I've calculated my current amperage needs at 99.3A give or take a little. The main breaker is 125A.
Will I over load the current main and if so is it posible to change it to a larger one?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-05, 11:33 PM
MKISSEL
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Hot Tub Blues

If You Can Buy A Circuit Breaker Called A Piggy Back For Your Type Of Electric Panel You Can Make Another Free Space In Your 125 Amp Panel. What This Piggy Back Looks Like Is Two Seperate Breakers But Only Takes Up One Space Of 120 Volts, Ask Your Hardware Clerk To See If They Make One For Your Brand Of Panel. You'll HAVE Your 240 Volt Double Pole Breaker Space In That Panel And You'll Be Ok To Not Over Current That 125 Amp Panel. Find Your Wattage Useage Of Your Hot Tub And Divide That By Your Voltage And You'll Find Your Amperage Rating For That Circuit. One Thing You'll Need Is A Disconnect Close To Your Hot Tub, Code Requires This. It Needs To Be Rated The Same As Your Circuit Breaker. Usually 60 Amps Is Enough For This Application. Also Number 6/3 Awg Romex Wire Will Be Needed To Supply Your Hot Tub. Goodluck And Be Safe. REMEMBER WATTAGE DIVIDED BY VOLTAGE = AMPERAGE, 8000 WATTS/ 240 VOLTS=33.33 AMPS