Doorbell wires

Old 11-04-05, 09:50 AM
Doorbell wires

I don't know if I'm in the right place, if not please tell me were to go, I want to install a dor bell, and the one that I have has three screws were I have to connect the wires, but I have four wires coming out of the wall, two greens and two reds and I'm lost, I don't know how to connect them, I only have the front door that its going to be connected to it, please any help.
Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-05, 10:01 AM
The most likely scenario is:

On the bell itself, one connection is the common. One is for the "front door" and will activate both chimes (ding-dong). The last connection is for the "back door" and will activate only one chime (ding).

Regarding the wires, I am guessing the following scenario. Two wires are from the transformer, and two wires are from the button.

However, nobody should be guessing. You should figure out what you have.

Did you wire this yourself? Are you replacing a worn out bell? How many push buttons do you have?

Old 11-04-05, 10:12 AM
the new bells have the three screws one says front, one says transformer and one says back, I know that the two wires coming from the transformer becouse they have voltage right, so now I know wich wire is wich, I connected the green wire to the transformer screw, and the two reds together, and the other green to the front screw, it works but when I push the button I only hear one ding and it's not to loud as shoul be.

Old 11-04-05, 10:16 AM
Is the bell the correct size for the transformer? You certainly don't want a bell that requires a larger transformer than you have, unless you want to replace the transformer.

Old 11-04-05, 10:26 AM
I don't know where the transformer is, and really I don't know what voltage is, and I don't know where it is to tell you the truth, the transformer requiered for the new bell is 16 volts,but you think the wire connections are right?

Old 11-04-05, 10:50 AM
What voltage do you measure on the transformer wires? I think you may have a too small transformer.

You should know where the transformer is located.

It does sound like you wired it properly.

Old 11-04-05, 11:04 AM
we just bought the house and I have no idea where it is, the wires from the buttongoes to the roof, i think they go to the attic, the box for the new bell says I need a 16 volt transformer, any Idea how the wire connections have to be?

Old 11-04-05, 11:56 AM
What voltage do you measure on the transformer wires? I think you may have a too small transformer.

You should know where the transformer is located. Your job now is to find it.

While you are at it, map out the entire electrical system, so that you know what is on each and every breaker. This information could save your life some day. You should immediately be able to know what breaker to turn off to cut power to any particular receptacle, light or appliance.

It does sound like you wired it properly.

Old 11-05-05, 10:18 AM
Connect the other ( non transformer) wire to the other screw. It will double chime then.

Old 11-05-05, 10:51 PM
MKISSEL
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

alot of older transformers for door bells are 25 volts you may be over rated causing the chimer to sound distorted, just a thought. you really need to measure the voltage with a voltmeter. good hunting! be safe.