Bathroom fan

Old 11-04-05, 06:23 PM
V
veddjd
Visiting Guest
Bathroom fan

I've owned my 1960 home for a year and niether of my bathrooms have exhaust fans. I want to put one in each. I feel comfortable getting them in place but don't know how to wire them. Can I just tap into the wire going to the switch for the light?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-05, 09:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you intend to install a second switch for the fan, or do you want it to come on with the existing light switch?

You can certainly tap into the same circuit that powers the light. The details of where to tap in (at the switch or at the light) depend on whether there is a switch loop involved. Is there a white wire attached to the switch? Are there white wires in the switch box not connected to the switch?

Old 11-05-05, 11:35 PM
M
MKISSEL
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

If You Want To Have A Seperate Switch For The Fan You Can Do It Several Ways. The Easiest Would Be To Get A Double Switch One On Top Of The Other. This Way You Would Be Able To Use The Existing Single Gang Box That Your Light Switch Is Already In, Now You Will Have To Find Where Your Hot And Nuetral Wires Are If They Are Both In The Switch Box Your In Luck. Run The Same Size Wire From That Box To Where Your Fan Is Going To Be. This Can Be Hard But You'll Have To Get Access From The Attic And Run The Wires Into The Wall Where The Switch Box Is Located Connect The Black Wire To The Switch And The Power Wire To The Switch By Pigtailing A Peice Of Wire From The Hot.connect The White Wire With The Other White Wires This Is Your Nuetrals That Go Back To The Panel Completeing The Circuit. Finally Connect Your Wires To Your Exhaust Fan, Black To Black And White To White And Your Green Or Bare Ground Wires If There Are Ground Wires.goodluck And Be Sure To Cut Off The Power To This Circuit When Making Connections. Get Some Help If Needed, Its Always Easier W/ Two People.