Installing Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Old 11-05-05, 09:16 AM
rpivending
Visiting Guest
Cool Installing Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Hi all; i am thinking about installing an exhaust fan in my bathroom...i have replaced switches before but i think this one might need some expert advice.. i need to replace the single switch which controls the currnet light with a switch that will allow me to control either fan or light....what do i have to do with the wiring in the current switch; and do i have to run a new new line for the fan and the light or is there 2 connections at the fan unit itself....what do i have to look for at the switch when i remove it to see if there is wiring in place to do this...thank-you in advance for your advice.......rob

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-05, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The fan will have the flexibility to allow the light and fan to be controlled by a single switch, or separately. In your case, you need another wire.

Basically in the switch box, you need a feed which is hot(black) neutral (white) and ground(bare). But in the cable up to the light, you need 2 hots (black and red, usually) plus the neutral plus the ground. There are several variations on how the wires are actually laid out. The switch box may only have a switch loop. You can post back on exactly what wires you have, but the bottom line is you most likely do not have enough wires in the wall to control fan and light separately.

Old 11-05-05, 10:52 AM
rpivending
Visiting Guest
thank-you 594 when i get a chance to look at switch i'll post what i find...thanks again........rob

Old 11-05-05, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It depends how it is wired, what is there, and what you want to do. More than liekly you need to run a new line for the fan.