wiring problem

Old 11-05-05, 04:31 PM
DVCDad
Visiting Guest
wiring problem

I had an electrical outlet put outside my house by an electrician who wired my new house. Come spring I ran a wire to my work shop from half of the 220 box, but I only need 110 for my tools. How do I correctly run 110 from 220 without alot of rewiring. Oh buy the way the electrician since has quit the business.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-05, 04:35 PM
Please clarify the picture.

Are you saying that the outside receptacle is a 240 volt receptacle, and that you want to run 120 from it?

And what do you mean by "half of the 220 box"?

Old 11-05-05, 09:58 PM
MKISSEL
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb electrical sense

hi, you hopefully know that one side of electrical panel or BUS has a voltage rating up to 125 volts potentially. therefore all you need is a 20 amp circuit leading to this location i assume. you will need #12 awg wire uf grade to feed it underground thus what uf stands for underground feeder, or you can use 1/2 inch pvc schedule 40 or 80 conduit, run this underground i think codes call for depths of 18 inches. you will want to run #12 awg thhn stranded wire to this outlet. theres more details, to this application than i mentioned. basically though if you have a white nuetral wire, any colored wire other than green or white for your hot or voltage carrying wire and a bare copper wire for your ground you will have a complete circuit. hope you find this helpful, goodluck and be safe! the library has very helpful basic wiring books that can really be helpful also.

Old 11-06-05, 04:43 PM
DVCDad
Visiting Guest
Wiring Problem

Yes, I am now using 120 only. Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-06-05, 05:43 PM
The answer is you don't. Change the circuit over to 120 volts (at the panel) and then extend it to the shop. Or run a brand new circuit to the shop.