Reducing three light switches to two

Old 11-06-05, 05:38 AM
ArchCarrier
Visiting Guest
Reducing three light switches to two

(Please note tyhat English is not my first language, so I might be using the wrong terminology.)

I had three light switches: one for the ceiling lamp, one for a wall lamp, and the thrid for a fluorescent light outside. I have replaced the fluorescent light with a new one with a photo cell, so that it stays on all night. I therefore don't need the light switch anymore. Now, how do I wire the two-way switch so that the power to the fluorescent light is always on?

I've included a diagram of my current setup:

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 05:56 AM
On the diagram you show you would take that outdoor light wire and route it to the left side of the switches, where unswitched power enters the picture.

Old 11-06-05, 07:58 AM
You really should leave the switch in place and just leave it switched on. It is not such a good idea to have that fixture out there with no way but the breaker to secure power. What if in the future someone wants to replace the fixture with one that doesn't have the photocell?

Old 11-06-05, 08:23 AM
ArchCarrier
Visiting Guest
Well, then they can just as easily replace my two switches with a new one that has three switches. After all, the wires are all still in place - just connected differently.