Help needed wiring a bath fan

Old 11-06-05, 07:31 AM
harris_kw
Visiting Guest
Help needed wiring a bath fan

Hi,
Wondering if someone could try to help me out. I'm replacing my current worn out bath fan with a newer model by the same manufacturer. It's the same size, shape etc., so I thought it would be a simple task. Installing it is easy, I'm just confused when it comes to making the wire connections.

Here's what I've got:

1 wire (hot/neutral/ground) bringing power to the fan
2 Wires going down to the double switch in the bath...each wire has hot/neutral/ground.

In the fan unit itself, I've got a total of 4 wires + a ground, (a blue and white wire from the fan, and a black and white wire from the light)

Can anyone tell me what goes where? I do know that all the grounds go together

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I suppose that it's too late to have you wire the new unit just like the old one. It's always a good idea to take detailed notes, sometimes even a take a digital picture, of the existing wiring before you start any project.

You forgot to tell us the wiring at the switches. But I'll take a stab at the wiring anyway.

Connect the white power wire to the white wire for the fan and white wire for the light.

Connect the black power wire to the white wires that go to the switches.

Connect one of the black switch wires to the blue wire for the fan.

Connect the other black switch wire to the black wire for the light.

Connect the grounds together and to the appropriate connection for the fan/light.

The above assumes that at the switches you have a black and a white wire connected to each switch. If the switch wiring is different (verify before you start) then the wiring will be different. Report back on the actual wiring at the switches and we'll go from there.

Old 11-06-05, 08:12 AM
harris_kw
Visiting Guest
Thanks for a quick reply!!! I did takes notes, but then realized that the old unit had different wiring...there were some red wires, etc. So my notes did me little good!

Anyway, your assumptions were correct...there is a black and a white connected to each switch.

I'm going to give it a try and follow up!

Thanks again!

Kyle

Old 11-06-05, 09:35 AM
harris_kw
Visiting Guest
Ok, wired everything up and it seems that both switches are controlling the fan...no light???

Also, the size of the junction box with this unit is very tiny...I'm having a hard time fitting all the wires into it, and then closing it. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Kyle

Old 11-06-05, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tell me all the wiring at the switches. Be explicit. Tell me how many cables, how many wires in each cable, and how they are connected to the switches. Are these normal switches? A duplex switch?

Also, tell us how things were wired. That information by itrself is enough to solve the problem.