Hot Tub and Federal Pacific

Old 11-06-05, 02:30 PM
Roosendaal
Visiting Guest
Hot Tub and Federal Pacific

I just purchased a new hot tub and an old Federal Pacific box. I was planning to have my service upgraded, but last night I had an idea that might save me some money.

The hot tub is to be installed outside. My laundry room is on the same side of the house and about 15 feet from the hot tub location. Since I have gas in the laundry room, I want to replace my current 240V dryer with a gas dryer. Then I can run the existing 240V circuit (that won't be in use due to gas dryer) through the wall to a box about 8 feet from the tub.

The dryer circuit is currently a 30amp breaker. I would replace that with a 50amp (assuming I'm able to find one.) The box outside would have the GFCI breaker and switch.

Can this work?? I still plan to upgrade service when I get the cash together, but want to get the tub working sooner than that.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may want to look at the link about Federal Pacific panels.
http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm

Old 11-06-05, 02:58 PM
Also, chances are slim the wiring of an old 30-amp circuit would not be able to support a 50 amp load.

Old 11-06-05, 03:38 PM
If you want to burn your house down you can go ahead with this plan. However, if you like your house then start over.

Throw away the Federal Pacific box. Do not use it for anything except as a paperweight.

You cannot use the dryer circuit. Leave it there for your current dryer, or if you get a gas dryer, leave it for the next homeowner to use on their electric dryer.

A dryer circuit is 30 amps. You need 50 amps.

Either hire an electrician to do this for you, or READ how to do it properly. Hot tubs are extremely regulated and you will fail the electrical inspection and end up with an unsafe installation if you don't do it right.

Purchase the appropriate panel for the installation, and wire the panel properly. Caution: Hot tub panels require an insulated ground for the wiring. You cannot use UF cable outside for a hot tub.