Wiring ceiling fan to existing 3way switch

Old 11-06-05, 07:54 PM
rich6489
Visiting Guest
Wiring ceiling fan to existing 3way switch

I am wiring a new ceiling fan to an existing 3 way switch that control the receptacles in the family room, The current switch has a red,black and white wire. The top receptacle was always been hot and the switch controls the bottom. Thewire to the ceiling fan is black , white and a ground. I purchaced a double switch and ran power to the fan but rhe receptacles aren't working the way they should. I can get the bottom receptacles to work off the switch or both the top and bottom to work off switch but I havn't been able to get the top hot and the bottom working off switch. Can any one help me figure this out?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 08:31 PM
You cannot power the fan from this switch box. It is impossible to get it to work because there is no neutral wire in the switch box, and there is no unswitched hot either. The three wires you have are two travelers and a switched return wire.

You could make this work by running a cable from the ceiling to the switched receptacle box, but you'd have to use the existing switch rather than the duplex switch you bought.

Anything is possible if you run more wires in the wall, and there are dozens of possibilities. But you can't get anything to work with the cable you have now.