garage

Old 11-08-05, 04:36 AM
Econoline
Visiting Guest
garage

Gentleman,
I need to pick your brain on this. I have had a new 200 amp service installed last year. The new meter pan is coupled to a 200 amp breaker/main disconect box. (long run to new panel)
The new detached garage I'm building I want to feed with 100 amps.
Is there a "splitter", a lug assymbly, a device, that I can bolt onto / into the load lugs of the meter pan that will allow me to feed a second main breaker box / 100 amp disconect box?
Thanks..Al

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-05, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is your breaker box going to be so taxed that you can't install a double 100 breaker in your 200 amp breaker box? Then run the apropriate guage wire from the 100 amp breaker in your house, to the 100 amp panel box in your garage?

I follow your request though. Years ago, I similarly lugged off a 100 amp fused box that had additional lugs to secure to. But with circuit breaker panel boxes, I don't think they have that option. Therefore, I suggested what I did.

You have to keep in mind that if you used a form of a splitter system that you could, in theory, draw 400 amps through a 200 amp main house feed...IF, your lugs were BEFORE the 200 amp lugs on your house panel box! Teh take-off lugs would have to be AFTER yur house panel box lugs, to prevent the possible overdraw on the wires going to your meter. But that can't happen with my proposal.