Help needed

Old 11-08-05, 07:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help needed

I plan on gutting one room at a time in my house. I would like to replace the electrical wiring at that time. Since we will be living in the house, I don't want to keep the walls open too long. How would I go about getting the permits? I know you have a year here in order to complete the work on a permit. Would I have to get a permit for every room?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-05, 07:18 AM
J
Visit your building department and discuss this with them. Most likely you can get one building permit for the whole job. And you probably have longer than a year if you want it.

Old 11-08-05, 07:20 AM
I don't know what the year is you mention. In most places a permit is for a specific scope of work and does have an expiration date, here it is 6 months.

Now, "rewiring" a house in not a job easily done one room at a time, because circuits sometimes feed more than one room, and they usually travel through more than one room. Time to rethink your plans.

Old 11-08-05, 02:00 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
If you live in a small city/town, you probably only have one building inspector. If you give him a call and explain your situation I suspect that he will be more than happy to work with you as you go under one permit. If you live in a larger city, you might have trouble with this as you could get a different inspector every time they come out to the property and he has no idea what has and hasn't been previously inspected.