re-wire existing lights

Old 11-08-05, 11:29 AM
harleyrider
Visiting Guest
re-wire existing lights

Hi and thanks in advance. I have two outside lights on my garage that I want to convert to motion sensors. My question is how do I re-wire the existing set up to achieve this. The lights are hook up in conjuction with the garage lights and run of a switch in the kitchen. I want the outside lights to be hot all the time to allow the motion detectors to work.

Thanks again, h/r

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-05, 11:33 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buy and install the lights you want, and leave the switch in the on position at all times. If you are afraid that somebody will turn the switch off, then put some tape over it, or you can buy switch guards to discourage use.

When you buy the lights, read the instructions carefully (open the package in the store if necessary), as some kinds of lights limit you to one light on a switch.

Old 11-08-05, 12:08 PM
harleyrider
Visiting Guest
Thanks but I want the switch in the kitchen to still operate the lights in the garage. So I need to re-wire the existing outside lights to remain hot all the time.

h/r

Old 11-08-05, 12:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The answer depends on exactly how the lights are wired.

The most likely scenario is that you either have to replace the wire from the switch to the lights , or run a new wire from the switch to the first of the outdoor lights.

Tell us the wiring and we can be more specific.