2 speed motor

Old 11-08-05, 07:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 speed motor

The two speed motor on my spa will only run on 1 speed, high. the controller seems to be working the way it is suppose to, the high speed relay makes for high and the low speed makes when set to low. only one relay makes at a time. Motor runs on high at either setting. I know nothing about 2 speed motors. The motor has a couple of capacitors. Could one of these cause th problem. Any other suggestions.

Motor is 240 vac. One wire is wired to one side of 240 all the time. The other side of the 240 is switched between 2 leads. one for high the other for low.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-05, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I doubt it's a capacitor due to the fact it runs on high. I have a feeling that something is wrong in the switching or a relay is out. No wiring schematic, eh?

Too bad you don't live around here, because we have this one motor shop in particular where the on-duty shop guy is more than glad to offer advice. They can build motors there from scratch and wind armatures to perfom the necessary HP and speed requirements. Maybe you have something like that near where you live. But you are still going to have to be able to do some form of tracing and know about relays...what they look like... and where they are, in order to have somebody like that to offer advice and possibly bench test parts for you.

You can tell if a capacitor is good, pretty much from my recollection, by putting test leads on the contacts and watching the rise and fall of your meter. Specifically, I haven't done this lately and it aludes me to just what it will do exactly. (I'd just call the guy up at the motor shop. ) But it seems like that if the voltmeter, when set to the 250 volt setting...that if the needle goes up in volts, then discharges (needle then drops) that this means it is good. Someone else here maybe knows and can offer advice.

Last edited by mattison; 11-13-05 at 08:59 AM.