Pool Light Wiring

Old 11-09-05, 09:06 AM
iceb52!
Visiting Guest
Pool Light Wiring

(No responses in pool forum so I thought I would try it here)

I am having a gunite pool installed. I am doing the electrical myself. When my house was built three years ago, the electrician "pre-wired" for a pool. My job is bascially connecting the pumps, lights, and bonding.

My question is this. The light circuit is not dedicated soley to the pool lighting. The light circuit (20 amps) also powers my septic system (1/2 hp pump for aereator, runs continuously). I didn't realize this was a problem until I reviewed pool codes available on-line. The code specifcally says the lighting must be on a dedicated circuit with only a switch/gfci. Can someone tell me why the circuit cannot power something else? I know there is always a risk of shock when electricty is around water, but how serious is this situation?

I have installed a GFCI on the branch going to the pool lights after the switch. Could I install a GFCI breaker and "get by" with this setup?

I do not require an inspection due to my location (outside city limits).

Thanks,

RB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-05, 04:47 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well i guess thats up to you how you feel about your idea of "getting by", about wiring lights that are in water that You and probably family members are going to be swimming in. They make codes for good reasons not just to make you spend more money and time.

Old 11-10-05, 05:13 PM
R
RB,

Whether an inspection is required or not is not the point. You SHOULD have it inspected anyway. This way when you sell the house you have proof that the pool electrical is safe and up to code (at the time of installation/inspection).

Old 11-11-05, 07:57 AM
iceb52!
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I will begin tracing some wires to run a dedicated circuit to the lights.

However, I still don't quite understand the whole dedicated circuit thing. Aren't all my circuits interconnected via the breaker box anyway? They are all branches of the main power feed.

Old 11-11-05, 03:05 PM
J
iceb52, can you cite exactly which article of the code, and which year's code, you are referring to?

Old 11-12-05, 10:37 AM
iceb52!
Visiting Guest
This is from a website referencing 1999 NEC. Says 2002 NEC is same. Bold Text concerns light fixtures.

BOND/ELECT. GRNDING LIGHTS/PANEL MOTOR/PANEL

680 / 22 680 / 25 680 / 25 / C

THE BONDING GROUND, AND THE BONDING GRID SHALL BE TWO DIFFERENT ENTITIES. THE BONDING GRID SHALL NOT TERMINATE [ BECOME CONNECTED TO ] AN ELECTRICAL GROUNDING SYSTEM PROTECTING THE DWELLING. THE BONDING GROUND SHALL TERMINATE AT THE PANEL, AND SHALL BE A PART OF THE DWELLING GROUNDING SYSTEM, AND SHALL BE CONTINUOUS THROUGH-OUT THE DWELLING SYSTEM, BONDING GROUND TO THE MOTOR SHALL BE INSULATED, AND SHALL BE NO SMALLER THAN A # 12 GA. COPPER CONDUCTOR. THE BONDING GROUND TO THE UNDERWATER LIGHT FIXTURE, SHALL BE INSULATED, AND SHALL NOT BE SMALLER THAN A # l2 GA COPPER CONDUCTOR.

BOTH THE PUMP MOTOR, AND THE UNDERWATER LIGHT FIXTURE SHALL BE A SEPARATE POWER RUN {ONE POWER RUN EACH }, AND SHALL BE DIRECTLY CONNECTED, FROM THE PANEL TO THE LIGHT FIXTURE, AND DIRECTLY FROM THE PANEL TO THE PUMP MOTOR EACH AS TWO DEDICATED CIRCUITS . THESE POWER RUNS SHALL BE WITHOUT ANY ELECTRICAL JOINTS, UNLESS, MORE THAN ONE UNDERWATER LIGHT IS INSTALLED {FORM LIGHT TO LIGHT TYPE OF JUNCTION }. AN EXCEPTION TO THIS NO JUNCTION ALLOWED RULE IS A JOINT, AS ALLOWED, FOR A GFI, OR A SWITCH CONTROLLING THE PUMP MOTOR, OR A SWITCH OR GFI AS ALLOWED CONTROLLING THE UNDERWATER LIGHT, ON THE DEDICATED ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT COMING FROM THE PANEL. ALL OF THESE CONDUCTORS SHALL BE INSULATED, INCLUDING THE GROUNDING WIRE.

Old 11-12-05, 12:30 PM
G
Don't know the specific reason, I did not write the book.

Generally you don't want any light circuits connected with motors.
Each time the motor starts the lights will dim. that can be annoying watching your pool lights dim.
Or would most people think its a false problem.

Old 11-12-05, 02:08 PM
R
The current (2005) version of the NEC is not as restrictive as what is posted. What is important is that the rules of the AHJ be followed, whatever they are.

Old 11-12-05, 06:04 PM
iceb52!
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the inputs, but one question for "racraft." What is the AHJ?

Old 11-12-05, 06:15 PM
W
Also, i don't know if if it is a regional code or a national code but where i live all conductors supplying pool equipment must be insulated. of course the ground is usuall the only one non-insulated and inspectors in my county approve UF wire as having an insulated ground. This reason i think is to keep wires in pools areas from corroding sooner since you have chemicals and stuff around. Also the inspectors in my county insist on not having a ground rod in the ground bonding the whole system because they say that the rods themselves can pick up stray currents in the soil from nearby transformers that are grounded.

Old 11-12-05, 06:15 PM
J
AHJ = Authority Having Juristiction. Most people call this the city electrical inspector. It's somebody who works for your building department.