240 V question (yes, it's spa related)

Old 11-09-05, 07:38 PM
g92069
Visiting Guest
240 V question (yes, it's spa related)

Ran 4 #6 wires (2 hot, 1 grnd, 1 nuetral) from 50amp breaker in house panel to 50 amp GFCI breaker in Spa subpanel. Same 4 wires into spa. Spa works fine.

Had to move spa, wires too short. Had to lengthen wires less than 6 inches each in order to reach (extended in the spa subpanel). I used Thomas & Betts Aluminum Splicer/reducer (ASR0214-B2) to accomplish this.

Now none of the 240 equipment on the spa works. It appears as if i am only receiving 1/2 power (120V) to the spa as the lights come on, display works, etc. According to spa mfg. I am not receiving 240v to the spa to power pumps and heater.

Any hints, tips, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
G

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-05, 04:27 AM
Redo your connection.

Old 11-10-05, 04:47 AM
g92069
Visiting Guest
I checked all of the connections yesterday. I will pull everything today and ensure all of my connections are correct and tight. Of course, I believe they are now.

Is there any other reason(s) other than a connectiveity issue why the spa is not receiving full power?

Thanks for your assistance, it is appreciated.

G

Old 11-10-05, 05:27 AM
I don't understand the issue? Do you have 240 volts to the sub panel? Do you have 240 volts after your splice? If you have 240 volts before your splice, but not after your splice then your splice is bad. Either that or you damaged the cable somewhere else, which you would probably notice.

Old 11-10-05, 05:38 AM
Try cycling the upstream breaker a couple of times. It is possible that it didn't turn on correctly.

I presume that you have your splices taped, which makes them a pain to check. But racraft is correct; if you have 240V upstream of the splice, and not downstream of the splice, then there is a problem in the splice. _Somewhere_ one of your 'hot' conductors is disconnected, at a switch, at a break in the wire, at the splice, or in a circuit breaker.

-Jon