upgrade ampage

Old 11-09-05, 08:03 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
upgrade ampage

A while back a Sparky from Texas helped me figure out old wiring in a 1950's rental. I have since bought the house and during recent rennovation was encouraged to upgrade to 100 amps and that would require changing out two separate fuse boxes to single circuit box. Turns out I had 100 amps already (yes, I should have known, but I thought that was why I hired ocntractor) so they upgraded to 150 amps saying upgrade was not the majority of the cost, the circuit box was. Is it expensive to go from 100 amps to 150 and did I need the circuit box to do so (or to stay at 100 amps)? If Sparky is still on site, my ceiling light and switch are still good (and safe).

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-05, 08:21 PM
J
Why exactly are you asking? Do you think you might have gotten ripped off?

Costs vary widely depending on exactly what needs to be done and where you live.

Old 11-09-05, 08:29 PM
G
Originally Posted by homeowner
saying upgrade was not the majority of the cost, the circuit box was.
Just the Box?
You can see some prices on this link.
breakers will add to the price.

http://doityourself.com/shop/breakerboxes02.htm

Old 11-09-05, 08:47 PM
H
Why Ask Question?

Because I am being charged $1300 to upgrade to 100 amps when I already had 100 amps so, without my approval, they upgraded to 150 amps and are now saying that changing out the fuse boxes was required. I cannot find code requirement that 100 amps cannot be fuse box. Sorry, I am frustrated.

Old 11-09-05, 09:09 PM
J
$1300 is well within the normal price range of a service upgrade. And replacing the box would indeed be a normal part of an upgrade, as your old panel was likely not rated for 150 amps. As long as the panel needs to be replaced, nobody is going to install a new fuse panel rather than a new breaker panel.

As to upgrading to 150 amps when the work specification was to upgrade to 100 amps, I'll just comment that that was certainly strange. I'm not sure why they didn't just stop and not do anything when they found out that you already had 100 amps.