Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Electrical Outlet Hot, but when I plug the jacuzzi motor into it, nothing happens.

Electrical Outlet Hot, but when I plug the jacuzzi motor into it, nothing happens.

Old 11-10-05, 12:23 PM
vlpendleton
Visiting Guest
Question Electrical Outlet Hot, but when I plug the jacuzzi motor into it, nothing happens.

When I plug the motor of our jacuzzi tub into the outlet, nothing happens. If I plug it into the receptacle (GFI) outside the tub, it works fine. I replaced the outlet, initially thinking that was the problem. The new one is "hot", but when I plug the motor into it, it doesn't work. A lamp plugged into the same outlet doesn't work, either. I am confused! Should I also replace the GFI receptacle outside the tub, also?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-05, 12:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What makes you think the receptacle is "hot"? What did you do to determine "hot"?

Old 11-10-05, 12:54 PM
Assuming this is a standard jetted tub installation - Dedicated circuit to a GFCI plug (usually in a closet or out of the way place near the bathroom) and connection from load side of GFCI to a plug under the tub.

There is most likely a bad connection (on the neutral wire) at the GFCI outside the tub. Turn power off at the breaker and remake all the connections to the GFCI. If that doesn't work, replace the GFCI.

Doug M.

Old 11-10-05, 12:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by vlpendleton
When I plug the motor of our jacuzzi tub into the outlet, nothing happens. If I plug it into the receptacle (GFI) outside the tub, it works fine. I replaced the outlet, initially thinking that was the problem. The new one is "hot", but when I plug the motor into it, it doesn't work. A lamp plugged into the same outlet doesn't work, either. I am confused! Should I also replace the GFI receptacle outside the tub, also?
Wellll...either it's NOT hot, like you think, or the contacts in the outlet are, for some reason, not making contact with the plug...like the contacts are recessed too deep, or they are spread so that they don't make good contact.

I like questions like this though. Can't wait to hear what the truth really winds up being.

Old 11-10-05, 01:15 PM
Replacing devices is a knee jerk reaction to a device not working, when in fact it is rarely the case.
You most likey have an open neutral somewhere as Doug said.

Old 11-10-05, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
Replacing devices is a knee jerk reaction to a device not working, when in fact it is rarely the case.
You most likey have an open neutral somewhere as Doug said.
That's why we all need to find out what test he did to lead him/us to believe the outlet is hot. If he went with tester to hot/neutral, that can't be it. But if he went hot/ground, it *could* be it. But how many people who know anything about electricity are going to test an outlet that way?

Old 11-10-05, 03:17 PM

Last edited by mattison; 11-13-05 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Of no help to the original poster.