bipolar overload protector?

Old 11-10-05, 06:27 PM
seapup0
Visiting Guest
bipolar overload protector?

I am installing a whirlpool tub/steam room in my bath. The electrical requirements call for a seperate electrical box with a 6a or 10a bipolar overload breaker and a leakage protection switch of a least 30a eguipped in it. The electric supply passes through the breaker first then the leakage switch to the steam generator.
My question is what is a bipolar overload protector? I thought it was a 220v circuit breaker but a tag on the wires from the generator says ac110v. I have 3 wires coming from the unit 1 is ground and 1 have a blue wire and a brown wire. Is this 110 or 220? Leakage switch i assume is ground fault.
Thanks for any help, don't want to get zapped in the shower

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-05, 06:41 AM
Using my powers of deduction (6 and 10A breakers and devices called leakage switches are not common here) , you are in a part of the world other than North America, which is the focus here.

What they mean two pole. In Europe, they mean a breaker that opens neutral when the hot is open (either manually or by trip.
In the US, a standard two pole breaker opens both hots, a GFCI opens the neutral as well, and there are non GFCI/AFCI neutral opening breakers, if you can find them.