Lightbulbs burning out really fast

Old 11-11-05, 01:37 PM
DLD647
Visiting Guest
Question Lightbulbs burning out really fast

I live in a building that is slightly over 150 years old, it was first made to be a very large home and is now divided into 6 apt, im sure there has been a few changes with the electricity and wireing in the building as time went on, but it seems like everything has been well kept care of, but we are haveing alot of troubbles with our lightbulbs, in numerous rooms of our apt burning out very quickly, we have only lived here since july and our light bulbs have burnt out twice in both the hall lights the living room, and in the spare bedroom, I dont really buy expensive bulbs i have never had to, and i dont wanna pay 20 bucks a bulb now if they only last like 2 months, my fuse box has been updated, because it is not the ones that have the old glass fuses, we rent the whole top floor of the building, and our light bill is only 50 bucks a month witch seem reasonable for such a large apt, so it dont really seem like there would be a big problem or the bill would be alot higher, i have not noticed any flickering or anything either. So what would be makeing the bulbs burn out so quickly, and how could we fix the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-05, 01:43 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The problem could be any number of things.

You might want to try these suggestions: Buy better quality name brand bulbs, or buy bulbs rated for 130 volts.

Old 11-11-05, 01:46 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Things that make incandescent bulbs burn out fast-
1- Vibration (Heavy vehicular traffic nearby? Under a stairway?)
2- Overvoltage (check with voltmeter)
3- Excess heat (are fixtures overlamped?)
4- cheap bulbs. (Buy name brand bulbs)
These are some things to check. You might want to try 130V bulbs if the voltage is high. Most larger stores carry them.
Good luck

Old 11-11-05, 04:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
5. Socket went bad.