Can I hook a regular 120 a/c plug to duct fan?

Old 11-11-05, 02:49 PM
dan383
Visiting Guest
Can I hook a regular 120 a/c plug to duct fan?

I am no electrician,
I just bought an inline duct fan and it is meant to be hard wired to a switch. I would like to hook it to a regular wall plug and turn the fan on by plugging it into a receptacle. The fan is only temperary. Is this a stupid thing to do? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-05, 03:14 PM
What kind of duct?

Old 11-11-05, 04:11 PM
dan383
Visiting Guest
An 8" inline air duct fan to help boost air from my basement to upstairs. The link below is the fan. You may have to copy and paste.

http://www.smarthome.com/3012.html

Old 11-12-05, 04:44 AM
I would use a box,connectors,switch and proper wire for this installation.Cords and plugs in attic or crawl spaces not good practice.

Larry

Old 11-12-05, 06:08 AM
I do not believe that it is _necessarily_ a bad thing to cord and plug connect this fan. The devil is in the details however.

If I follow the link that you posted to the Smarthome site, under 'Details and Specifications' they say the following '...just add the optional #3018 DuctStat Duct Fan Thermostat. The DuctStat requires that the duct fan have a 110V plug end.... ' If you look at the installation instructions, there is a picture of a flexible cord going from the fan and plugging in to the duct thermostat.

IMHO doing this with a short length of cord plugged into a nearby receptacle would be fine, even as a permanent install; using a long length of cord or an extension cord would be problematic since 'temporary' use often becomes permanent.

I would use 'hard service' SO cord of at least 14 ga. and a good quality heavy duty cord cap.

All splices need to be in the electrical box, and where the cord comes out of the electrical box you will need a cable clamp. Make sure that the cable clamp that you buy is rated for flexible cords. Also carefully select a wire-nut sized for the particular wires that you are splicing; flexible cord is somewhat more difficult to work with than regular power cable.

Depending upon your experience level, you may decide to hire an electrician to do a hard wired install, or install a new receptacle at your desired location combined with attaching the power cord to the fan.

-Jon

Old 11-12-05, 07:53 AM
dan383
Visiting Guest
Thanks all for your help. I will take your advice and probably call someone in the field.