Replaced Ceiling Fixture -- Caused Power Failure

Old 11-12-05, 04:28 PM
zuikerspin
Visiting Guest
Replaced Ceiling Fixture -- Caused Power Failure

I replaced a ceiling fixture (light) in a 75-year-old home. I had replaced the fixture prior without any problems. The new fixture does not illuminate, and a series of electrical wall outlets in the room/neighboring room are now dead.
Here are a few facts:
OLD FIXTURE (6 40-WATT candelabra bulbs)
NEW FIXTURE (5 40-WATT candelabra bulbs)
Electrical switch in a round dimmer-type
Power is out a 8 wall outlets and 3 ceiling fixtures
Circuit breaker box appears to show that there are no "broken" circuits
--------------------------
I removed the wires from the new fixture, and capped the existing ceiling wires. This ceiling outlet was unused (no fixture) when I first moved into this house, and the wires were "capped" in a similar fashion as they are presently. However, the remainder of the rooms/outlets were operating prior.

What did I do to create this problem? How can it be repaired?

Old 11-12-05, 04:36 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You disconnected one or more wires that were connected together. To correct this you need to connect the wires properly. That means determining what wires are what. Despite what you say, you don't have the wires connected as they were when you bought the place.

Power comes in on one set of two wires. Power then goes out to other locations in the house. You have determined that these locations include receptacles or ceiling lights in this room and the next room.

You have stated that you have a switch. The switch is wired as either a switch loop or it has full power running through it. You need to figure this out.

Do you have NM type (wires in a cloth or plastic sheath) wire, or do you have knob and tube? What test equipment do you have?

Old 11-12-05, 07:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have heard of some people who think they are handy with wiring, to "wire all the black wires together and all the white wires together" because that is what they have heard to do. But this can not always apply when light switches are in the circuit. Just thought I'd share that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: