Replacing One Ceiling Fixture With Three

Old 11-14-05, 08:41 AM
DaleY
Visiting Guest
Replacing One Ceiling Fixture With Three

I have a wall plate covering two switches. One is a standard two pole controlling a ceiling flourescent fixture and the other is a dimmer switch controlling two recessed ceiling lights.
I am replacing the flourescent fixture with three separate hanging pendant fixtures. All will be controlled by the same switch as the flourescent fixture. The flourescent is between the switches and the recessed lights. The flourescent outlet box contains four wires. One and two are an unbroken red wire and a black wire running from the dimmer to the recessed lights I assume. The third is a white wire coming from the direction of the recessed lights and was connected to the flourescent white wire. The fourth is a blue wire coming from the direction of the switch and was connected to the flourescent black wire.
I plan to install a separate outlet box for each new pendant light and connect a black wire to each with the existing blue wire using a wire nut. I will connect a white wire to each with the existing white wire using a wire nut.
The pendant lights have standard stranded appliance cord--no black or white wires.
I have two questions.
First, does my wiring plan make sense?
Second, does it matter which section of the pendant appliance cord is connected to the white and black feed wires?
I may be overthinking this, but I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.
Thank you.

Last edited by DaleY; 11-14-05 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-05, 08:46 AM
One is a standard two pole ...
That's not a "two pole". It's a single-pole switch.

First, does my wiring plan make sense?
There's not enough detail to know if it makes sense. I assume that you will be running new cable, but you didn't specify where from or to, or how you will be connecting it at the source. There's a million ways to do it wrong and a dozen ways to do it right.

Second, does it matter which section of the pendant appliance cord is connected to the white and black feed wires?
The light will work either way, but it will only be as safe as it could be if you connect it with the correct polarity.

Old 11-14-05, 09:56 AM
DaleY
Visiting Guest
Clarification

Thanks for the quick response and correction re. the switch type. Sounds like the odds of doing it right are against me.

At the current outlet box, I plan to connect three new 14G black wires to the existing blue wire with a single wire nut and connect three new 14G white wires to the existing white wire with a single wire nut. I will run one of the black wires and one of the white wires to each of the three new outlet boxes which are less than 5 feet apart. They will be connected to the fixture appliance cord.

How do I determine which section of the spliced appliance cord should be connected to the black wire and vice versa?

Thanks again.

Old 11-14-05, 10:37 AM
If you "home run" all your cables back to the existing outlet box, it will make that box very overcrowded. Rather, just run one cable from that box to the first new light, and then another cable from the first new light to the second, and one from the second to the third.

At the existing box, connect your new cable to the same wires that the existing fluorescent's black and white wires are connected to (leaving everything else alone).

Not sure if you may have meant this or not, but you may not use "fixture appliance cord" inside walls or ceilings. You must use NM-B (if approved by your city), or conduit and THHN (if not).

The cord from your hanging fixtures has two wires that are not identical if you look closely. One of them has a tiny stripe or rib on it. The ribbed wire connects to the white, and the smooth wire connects to the black.