Bathroom circuit

Old 11-14-05, 05:07 PM
Bathroom circuit

I am in the process of remodling an old home. The bathroom light and outlet are on the same circuit. There is currently no GFI. I am going to put a GFI in. The question I have, will a blowdryer on full, and the bath light on blow this 15 amp circuit? I know bath outlets should be 20 amp, but I don't like the idea of having to run a new circuit if this existing circuit will work. There is no fan in the bath light. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-05, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by BrentTurner
I am in the process of remodling an old home. The bathroom light and outlet are on the same circuit. There is currently no GFI. I am going to put a GFI in. The question I have, will a blowdryer on full, and the bath light on blow this 15 amp circuit? I know bath outlets should be 20 amp, but I don't like the idea of having to run a new circuit if this existing circuit will work. There is no fan in the bath light. Thanks for your help.
You only want to put in a 60 watt bulb. That won't hurt much. Most bathrooms have more than just one outlet on the circuit and typically have the light(s) on with it. You just might not want to choose an 1800 watt hair dryer. Go for the 1500 watt one. Watts = amps X volts..so you can figure it out, for a 15 amp circuit.

Old 11-14-05, 06:02 PM
If you are remodeling, code requires that you bring the bathroom up to code. Do it now, while the walls are down. It's much easier than doing it later.

Old 11-15-05, 08:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by BrentTurner
The question I have, will a blowdryer on full, and the bath light on blow this 15 amp circuit?
From a practical standpoint, it will probably not trip a 15A breaker even if your total wattage is slightly above 1800W. But then again, it could. Breakers are mechanical devices and some are more sensitive than others. Hairdryers are sold on marketing numbers and probably never actually draw their maximum wattage. But why chance it by walking the line with a 15A circuit?

That isn't really the issue though. You are remodelling the bathroom, so you should bring it up to code by pulling in a 20A circuit with a GFCI receptacle.

Old 11-15-05, 08:30 AM
If you stay with a 15-amp circuit, then definitely get one of the lower powered hair dryers. If you continually push old wiring to the max, it will degrade the insulation.

Old 11-17-05, 05:33 PM
On the point of remodeling requiring that the wiring be brought up to code, I am wondering: Are you required to upgrade the wiring if your remodeling work does not disturb the existing circuit; that is, no receptacles or switches are added or moved, and the wiring is not touched in any way?

Old 11-17-05, 05:51 PM
It all depends on the extent of the remodeling and the building inspector.

For example, if you removed all the drywall, essentially gutting the room, but left the walls themselves intact, then most inspectors would require that the electrical be brought up to code, even if you were satisfied with and didn't want to move the lights or the receptacle.