Wiring new smoke detectors for a bedroom addition

Old 11-15-05, 08:24 AM
Wiring new smoke detectors for a bedroom addition

I am adding 2 new smoke detectors for a bedroom addition ( 1 in the hallway and one high in the ceiling inside the bedroom). Both will be hard wired and have battery backup.

I notice that the existing SD's are wired on a common circuit, but the yellow wires are simply capped with a wire nut. IOW, they are not wired in series.

1. Do these need to be wired together with existing SD's.

2. Do I need to use the yellow wire to wire them in series?

3. If yes to the above, should all SD's in the house be wired in series together?

Thanks, Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-05, 08:31 AM
In the US most municipalities require that there be smoke detectors in each bedroom, outside each bedroom, and on each level, and that all the smoke detectors be interconnected.

For additions they require the new areas be brought up to code, but they donít generally require that the old areas be modified.

Your two new detectors will probably be required to be interconnected. If at all possible I would interconnect all your detectors, but this may not be easy to do. However, they do make detectors that can be interconnected by means of a wireless signal. This may be an option.

Old 11-15-05, 08:33 AM
"Series" isn't the right word. SD should be "interconnected", so that when one goes off, they all do. Different brands, and even different models within the same brand, do not necessarily have compatible interconnects, so it's best to keep all SD of the same make and model.

Old 11-15-05, 08:53 AM
Interconnected/Series

Originally Posted by John Nelson
"Series" isn't the right word. SD should be "interconnected", so that when one goes off, they all do. Different brands, and even different models within the same brand, do not necessarily have compatible interconnects, so it's best to keep all SD of the same make and model.
Sorry, I was using the terminology in the "B&D Complete Guide to Home Wiring".
It states that the the black and white wires should be connected to the corresponding wires of the SD and that the yellow wire (if present) should be capped with a wire nut. "(This wire is used only if two or more alarms are wired in series)"

Does this mean that there should be another wire that goes from yellow to yellow to yellow..............?

I don't have a problem doing this since the hallway ceiling has been removed for this project anyway. Since I'm in there, I would prefer to bring it all up to code but I just don't know how that should be done. Also, should I be using 14-3 w/g to accomplish this, or can I run a separate wire?

Assuming 4 SD's with power to the first (14-2 wg) should I then run (14-3 w/g) to each successive SD, connecting the red wire to the yellow SD wire?

-Joe

Old 11-15-05, 09:47 AM
Most interconnected smoke detectors are wired with 14/3, using the red wire for the interconnect.