Wire dishwasher

Old 11-15-05, 12:00 PM
scampbell
Visiting Guest
Wire dishwasher

I am replacing a dishwasher and old one was hard-wired on its own circuit. Is it best to replace in the same manner or should I convert to receptacle?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-05, 12:11 PM
i just did mine and according to my research they only hard wire DW's. I think that's a code but i am not sure .. why would u want to put a receptacle? It is so easy to hard wire and once it is in place it will never be moved anyway.

Old 11-15-05, 12:14 PM
Buy the dishwasher first. Then read and follow the installation instructions. If you have a choice, I see no reason not to hardwire as you have now.

Old 11-15-05, 12:19 PM
scampbell
Visiting Guest

I have purchased DW already and it looks like it has option to install eaither way (if you buy a kit). I would prefer to hardwire but wanted to be sure there wasn't a good reason to handle differently. I will install tonight and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help

Old 11-15-05, 12:53 PM
My preference is to get there before the plumber and install cord sets on both the waste disposal and the diswasher. If I've wired the house, a receptacle for each (each with its own dedicated circuit) is situated in the cabinet under the sink (as well as another one for a trash compactor, if so equipped and the compactor is adjacent to the sink). I route the cord through a hole in the cabinet.

I hate laying on the floor to make the hardwire connections to a dishwasher. I guess if you had 5 or 6 feet of NM cable with which to work, you could hardwire it the same way, with it laying on its back or side. But then you have to bundle up the cable under the diswasher. To hardwire it correctly, you need a clamp where it enters the little connection box. I no longer even attempt to install a cord set on a waste disposal in place. Too cramped, too dark and it's pretty easy to R/R one.

Old 11-15-05, 02:17 PM
If you do install a cord and plug, be aware that the NEC has strict limits on the length of the cord.