why did new dry heat element burn out again?

Old 11-17-05, 04:58 PM
rsfeller
Visiting Guest
why did new dry heat element burn out again?

i installed a heating element in my dry last night. i took painstaking steps to make sure the element didn't touch itself or anything. the unit worked fine last night for 3 loads in the dry, but wouldn't work today.

i then took the dry apart to find the heating element broke in 5 spots after cooling off over night!!!

all other sensors and thermostats have proper continutiy and proper voltage.

could i have gotten a bad element or is there anything else to check in this simple system?

shawn

Old 11-17-05, 05:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are we talking about a clothes dryer?

If the vent is clogged with lint, the heating element will burn out very fast. You should clean out your vent line at least once a year. With the dryer running, go to the roof or outside where the vent comes out and see if you can feel a strong air flow.

Have you been noticing that it takes longer to get the clothes dry recently?

Old 11-17-05, 06:25 PM
rsfeller
Visiting Guest
thanks for your comments.

the unit was clean 100% of lint and the air way is fine.

i understand you comments that the restricted air would eventually prematurely burn a element, but in one night?

Old 11-17-05, 07:56 PM
A
Did you notice whether or not the clothes were warmer (or even hot) than usual. Could be the thermostat is not working properly and allowed the element to overheat.

Old 11-17-05, 08:00 PM
rsfeller
Visiting Guest
that's a tough call as a new element it seems warmer since it's working well!

there were two thermostats on my unit and they tested correctly for continutiy at low temps, but i really see no way to test if they are cutting out on the "high side" properly...any ideas?

shawn

Old 11-18-05, 06:15 AM
A
You should be able to see the element cycle. In a darkened room with the dryer running (I guess you'll have to get another element) lean over and watch behind the dryer for the reddish light emitted when the element is on. If it goes on and off, it is cycling. If it comes on and stays on the entire time the dryer is running, something is wrong.

If your dryer is more than 7 or 8 years old,l wouldn't recommend investing a lot into it. You may just need to get a new one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: