Number of outlets per circuit

Old 11-17-05, 07:11 PM
Roger05
Visiting Guest
Question Number of outlets per circuit

I am running a #12/2 w/g to each bedroom for outlets. What is the maximum number of outlets that the NEC permits to be on each 20A circuit breaker? The circuit is not going to any other location... just providing power for the outlets in that room. Each room will have its own 20 A circuit breaker (no lighting included)

Old 11-17-05, 07:17 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Code does not give a maximum...

Old 11-17-05, 07:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you do a search of this forum you will get several good threads on this subject.
It's been gone over a few times.

Old 11-17-05, 07:53 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No code limit, but the general rule of thumb is 10. But use common sense based on what you might reasonably plug in and what the electrical requirements of those things are. Don't forget AFCI. Study the codes before beginning. There are a lot of them you need to know.

Old 11-17-05, 09:48 PM
Roger05
Visiting Guest
That was my thinking

I had never been able to find the specification of max number of outlets and that was my thinking all along. By not sharing breakers with another room, it is just what would be in the "normal" bedroom that I was concerned about. ie, clock, tv, vcr, lamp or two. Never any real major items, however it seems like there is never an outlet where you need it, so instead of the mandatory 12' or less spacing, I am using approx 8' max spacing around the room so that although there are few that ever get used, the one that you use is not far away. The central vac outlet right next to the hose connection is on a dedicated circuit that runs to all of the central vac outlets. AFCI came into being since I started this rebuild project in 1994, so that does add a little more to do before I finish, but nothing major. ??? Am I correct in my thinking that the AFCI code does not apply to the lighting of a room. I have lighting of several rooms on one breaker that is never used as an outlet supply, lights only..... or do I need to change the lighting breakers to AFCI also if they provide power to lights that are in a bedroom?? Thanks for the answer... I had done a search and was unable to find any thread that applied although I am sure they are there.

Old 11-18-05, 03:59 AM
It depends on which code cycle you are under and what has been accepted.
If you are under NEC 2005 and it was accepted as a whole in your area then you do need AFCIs for lighting in a bedroom. Basically everything but switches, even smokes. Inherently, if a switch controls anything in the room it becomes protected anyway.

In my area we are under the 1999 code, actually the NYS RBC for homes which is based on 1999, which calls for receptacles to be AFCI, but they are not enforced.

Old 11-18-05, 07:45 AM
Roger05
Visiting Guest
What??

Now that confused me a little. You said yes to AFCI on lighting then seems like you said not required for switches. The lighting that I was refering to was the room lights that are controlled by the switch when you enter the room.

Old 11-18-05, 09:54 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have to check with local sources. In Clark County, NV; we are required to have AFCI protection on every outlet in a bedroom. Outlets include receptacles and lighting.

Old 11-18-05, 02:20 PM
Exactly. 2005 Code says all "outlets". A lighting box IS an outlet, a switch is not.
Like I said, this point is moot since if the light is in the room so is the switch. The switch becomes inherently protected.

A good example is if there is an outside entrance in a bedroom, such as a small deck. The switch for an outside light would not need AFI protection, neither would the light since it is not IN in the bedroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: