Wiring Double Oven

Old 11-18-05, 05:42 AM
Mason156
Visiting Guest
Wiring Double Oven

We have been given a second-hand double-oven that we are incorporating in our kitchen remodel. I want to wire it correctly and -although I've reviewed the installation instructions that I've downloaded from the GE website - there are still some things of which I am not certain.

What we have for the old freestanding range (which is a totally differnet part of the house) looks like a 40A breaker and 8 gauge NM cable. Should I go with the 40A breaker and a new 8 gauge wire or should I go to 50A and 6 gauge? I can't get a max current draw number on the double ovens, but I think it is about 40, which is why I am inclined to go with the 50A breaker. Also, am I correct when I say that the NM cable I want should have three wires and a ground?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 11-18-05, 05:48 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The breaker size is dictated by the manufacturer. Keep searching the website or look on the unit name plate. If it specifies 40 amps, then that is what you need. If it specifies 50 amps then you need 50 amps.

Completely new installations need four conductor wiring. Two hot wires, a neutral and a ground. In years past three wire installations were allowed, which was two hot wires and a ground.

It is permissible to use existing three conductor wiring (if it is the right size wire). The installation instructions will have wiring diagrams for both three wire and four wire installations. Pay attention to these as you don't want to make a mistake.

However, since you are installing in a different place in the house, you need four conductor wiring. Even if you must use a 40 amp breaker, you may want to use larger (6 gage) wire if the distance is great or if you want to allow for future expansion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: