Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Repalcing a pigtail stove outlet with a normal 3 prong outlet

Old 11-18-05, 07:01 AM
Patrick
Visiting Guest

My old stove was electric and thus I have a pigtail outlet. My new stove is gas, and it needs a normal 3-pring outlet to run the clock and the light.

Can I just remove the pigtail outlet and replace it with a 3 prong (after turning off the breaker of course).

Also, do I need to replace the breaker with a smaller one? The one there now I think its 40amps, either way uses two slots in the breaker panel.

I've put in a new breaker and an outlet before so I feel pretty comfortable with this, just not sure about the conversion.

Thanks,
-p

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-05, 07:45 AM
By "pigtail" outlet, can I assume you mean a 50A 4-wire receptacle, like a NEMA 14-50R?

You'll have to replace the breaker and do a little wiring in the panel in addition to replacing the receptacle, but yes, you can do this.

Replace the breaker with a regular 20A single-pole, and where you used to use two hots, a neutral, and a ground; you will now only need one of the hots, and leave the existing neutral and ground where they are. You probably have a black and red on the current breaker, just use one on the new breaker and cap the other and leave secure in the panel in case you need to reverse the procedure later. In the new receptacle, use the same wire you landed to the breaker as the hot for the receptacle. The white usually lands on a silver screw (same side as the larger hole), the hot (black or red typically) usually lands on the gold screw. Chances are you have a double-wide (2-gang) box in the wall. You can either make it a quad receptacle (which you don't need) or buy two halves of covers, one with a duplex configuration, the other with a blank. These are available at HD, Lowes, etc. You will probably also find it easier (perhaps necessary) to wirenut a 12-gauge jumper between your new receptacle and the existing larger wire in the box.

I have done this exact job in residential remodels.

Last edited by MAC702; 11-18-05 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-18-05, 08:06 AM
My suggestion is that you leave the existing wire in place and run a new circuit for a new 120 volt receptacle. This is especially true if the existing wiring is four wire.

Whether you can (by code) use the existing wiring depends on whether it has a neutral or not.

Regardless, it will not be easy to use the existing wiring. In addition to the changes necessary at the panel, you will need to use 12 gage pigtails at the receptacle you will have to install. The incoming larger wire (most likely 8 gage) will not fit into a 15 or 20 amp duplex receptacle, and the size of that wire, the pigtails and receptacle will make the box crowded.