Wiring Ceiling fan with suspended ceiling?

Old 11-18-05, 08:28 PM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
Wiring Ceiling fan with suspended ceiling?

I wired a ceiling fan in the joists of my basement bedroom using extendable metal ceiling fan hanger kit from the "Depot". The kit works great but when extending the ceiling fan down the 4" to the bottom of the suspended ceiling I am wondering how to enclose the junction box above the suspended ceiling so as to cap the box so the wires don't stick out. Normally the ceiling fan kit will take care of this but since I am extending the fan 4" down to meet the suspended ceiling the kit does not make up for this so I have my wires inside the metal ceiling fan hanger kit but the wires are not entirely enclosed in the junction box. I have asked the hmmm hmmmm "experts" at the "Depot" and they don't know how to deal with this so I am turning the real experts here, any suggestions or is this something not to worry about?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-05, 05:07 AM
box extensions are available for most every size box. If I am reading your post right. Simply add a box extension.Its open at both ends and has provisions to use the same screws that the cover uses. Then install the cover on the box extension.

I hope this helps..

Larry

Old 11-19-05, 04:41 PM
chopper33
Visiting Guest
Where do you pick up a box extension? The Home Depot guys have never heard of such a thing??? "Experts" right?

Old 11-20-05, 08:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
First I would like you tosee if you have the required 7 foot or greater clearance from the floor.

Secondly the box should be mounted at the tile level, not above and then dropped down using box extensions. Box extensions are not rated for fan support.

You are correct about having the splice box closed.

Try this link, look at page 5 for item15010.

http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/P.pdf