electrical pvc-grade requirements

Old 11-19-05, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electrical pvc-grade requirements

I'm installing a 200-amp main panel/meter socket combination on the side of my recently built barn. It's about 100 feet from the power pole where the electric company is going to connect. I'm burying the wires 2 feet deep in 2-inch 40 grade pvc. I thought I read somewhere that the pvc needs to change to 80 grade as it comes out of the trench (to the panel on the side of the building and to the base of the pole). Do you know if this is true or if all of it can be 40 grade.
Also is #6 grade copper wire required for grounding a 200amp panel? What is the best way for the copper wire to exit the panel? - Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-05, 05:17 PM
I'm not really sure about it, but I think you might be correct about needing schedule 80 instead of sch. 40 above ground. The reason I don't know is because I always convert to EMT just as I leave grade. It looks nicer, is stronger, and lasts a lot longer without fading or burning in the sunlight. One of the more experienced residential guys will have to give us the for-sure answer about the sch. 80 if you insist on staying in PVC.

Old 11-21-05, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You should probably call the power company as the feeders are their territory in most jurisdictions. Sometimes they follow NEC, sometimes they have their own rules and, sometimes they have special rules for farm services (this service goes to a barn).

That said, I don't think you can go wrong using schedule 80. Even if you were only required to use sch-40, you simply added more protection to the wire than the minimum.

Old 11-21-05, 02:30 PM
I just converted my overhead service to underground. Florida Power and Light required Schedule 80 at the house and schedule 40 at the pole. They then put a heavy sleeve over the schedule 40 at the pole.

Best advice is to call the power company. Here they provided all the materials and pulled the cable for $390.00. I had to hire an electrician to do the hook up.

OBTW. FPL requires 24 inches over the pipe, so the trench had to be at least 26 inches deep (2 inch pipe) - made mine 30 inches deep.